ETFGI, a leading independent research and consultancy firm covering trends in the global ETFs and ETPs ecosystem, reported that ETFs and ETPs listed globally gathered net inflows of US$89.97 billion during September, bringing year-to-date net inflows to a record US$924.18 billion which is higher than the US$486.67 billion gathered at this point last year and higher than the US$762.77 billion.
Assets invested in the global ETFs/ETPs industry have decreased by 2.3% from US$9.73 trillion at the end of August 2021, to US$9.50 trillion at the end of September, according to ETFGI’s September 2021 Global ETFs and ETPs industry landscape insights report, an annual paid-for research subscription service. (All dollar values in USD unless otherwise noted.)
- Assets of $9.50 trillion invested in ETFs and ETPs listed globally at the end of September 2021 are the second highest on record.
- Record YTD 2021 net inflows of $924.18 Bn beating the prior record of $486.67 Bn gathered in YTD 2020.
- $924.18 Bn YTD net inflows are $161.41 Bn higher than the full year 2020 record net inflows $762.77 Bn.
- $1.20 trillion in net inflows gathered in the past 12 months.
- Assets increased 18.9% YTD in 2021, going from US$7.99 trillion at end of 2020, to US$9.50 trillion.
- 28th month of consecutive net inflows
- Equity ETFs and ETPs listed globally gathered a record $632.81 Bn in YTD net inflows 2021.
“The S&P 500 declined 4.65% in September as due to fears of inflation, the ongoing Congressional budget impasse, and anticipation of a reduction in Fed liquidity provision. Developed markets ex-U.S. declined 2.99% and emerging markets were down 3.12% in September,” according to Deborah Fuhr, managing partner, founder and owner of ETFGI.
The Global ETFs and ETP industry had 9,461 products, with 19,094 listings, assets of US$9.50 trillion, from 580 providers listed on 79 exchanges in 62 countries at the end of September 2021.
During September 2021, ETFs/ETPs gathered net inflows of $89.97 Bn. Equity ETFs/ETPs listed globally gathered net inflows of $51.59 Bn during September, bringing net inflows for 2021 to $632.81 Bn, much greater than the $172.24 Bn in net inflows equity products had attracted for the corresponding period through September 2020.
Fixed Income ETFs/ETPs listed globally reported net inflows of $21.12 Bn during September, bringing net inflows for 2021 to $174.46 Bn, higher than the $172.02 Bn in net inflows fixed income products had attracted YTD in 2020.
Commodity ETFs/ETPs listed globally gathered net outflows of $1.51 Bn, bringing net outflows for 2021 to $9.55 Bn, significantly lower than the $70.68 Bn in net inflows commodity products had attracted over the same period last year.
Active ETFs/ETPs reported $14.68 Bn in net inflows, bringing net inflows YTD 2021 to $109.93 Bn, higher than the $51.29 Bn in net inflows active products had attracted YTD in 2020.
Substantial inflows can be attributed to the top 20 ETFs by net new assets, which collectively gathered $37.52 Bn during September. Dimensional World EX US Core Equity 2 ETF (DFAX US) gathered $4.71 Bn the largest individual net inflow.